Monday, February 12, 2007

car purchase

Sometimes I overanalyze, and spend so much time researching and shopping for something, I feel as though I should be paid for my spent efforts.

Here's an example: I've changed hands with 4 cars, just in the past 6 months alone. Not that my intention was to be a private car dealer or anything-- but with the good number of pink slips I've seen lately, I sure as heck appear to be one.

This huge car dance will (hopefully) soon see its end, though. I'm finalizing paperwork in purchasing yet another car, for the folks. So now, I'll technically be burdened with 2 cars' worth of debt.

For this last and final car (a 2004 Lexus RX330 w/ 22K miles), I'm taking advantage of 2 significant discounts:

- The vehicle is a used vehicle. It was the first-year model of the current RX model design, so I get a discount for a car that looks almost brand-new. I would give the interior an 8/10 score, accounting for 2 years' worth of wear.

- Being previously driven as an internal company vehicle, I avoid paying any middleman and take advantage of any discounts that go along with this. I can rest assure all maintenance was duly performed (and maybe over-aggressively so), and that the car was washed weekly (this is mandatory for internal cars lest the driver is assessed fines).

Hopped with options, including the Premium Plus package, the KBB low / high retail value ranged from $30K to $35K, according to my financier. My contract purchase price: $26,667.18. I don't take into account other used-car pricing guides because KBB is my financier's guide of choice.

If the vehicle is appraised midway between its KBB estimated range, I'm saving $5800, which translates to an 18% discount. Not mind-blowing, but you won't see me complaining about saving nearly $6,000. Unfortunately, I'm forced to finance this vehicle for now. There's no sense in temporarily depleting short-term reserves without any regard for cash flow disruptions.

It's all about finding the right balance when push comes to shove, to make things happen.

No comments: