Sunday, March 25, 2007

RETIREE PORTFOLIO DRAFT #01

I can breathe a *BIG* sigh of relief now that I've roughly hammered a crude version of The Retiree Portfolio. It's like a 6-month long project finally seeing the light of day! Pretty exciting. Yup, I ditched bar-hopping in Hollywood for this-- and it was, well, *almost* worth it, I guess.

The characteristics of this portfolio include the following:

- It contains a 60/40 equity/fixed-income ratio overall asset allocation. Equity = stocks. Fixed-income = bonds and other safe stuff. Every asset, however, is in the form of funds.

- The portfolio has a value tilt to it, meaning, I emphasize value funds over growth funds.

- The portfolio has a small-cap tilt in the US portion of equities.

- The equity portion is split 50/50 between US and International. You'll find that within International there's a small-cap tilt-- for now.

- I want to introduce a value tilt internationally speaking. I may revise the portfolio by replacing the small-cap International asset with a value International fund.

- The portfolio is reasonably sliced and diced. Honestly, it's probably S&D'ed a *taaaad* more than I'd like it to be. Every asset listed does provide some diversification benefit in some way, whether it's in the form of higher returns or reduced risk.

- According to Morningstar, none of the below bonds are long-term, which is exactly what I wanted.

Without further ado, in %-ages, here, finally, in rough-hewn form, I bring you Retiree Portfolio, Rough Draft #1!

Total Market VTSMX 7.5
US large-value stocks VIVAX 7.5
US small stocks NAESX 3.75
US small-value stocks VISVX 5.6
REITs VGSIX 5.6

Pac Rim-large - Vanguard Pac Stock Index - VPACX - 7.5
Europe-large - Vanguard European Stock Index - VEURX - 7.5
Small cap - Vanguard Int'l Explorer Fund - VINEX - 7.5
Vanguard Emerging Markets Stock Index Fund Investor Shares (VEIEX) 7.5

Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Investor Shares (VBMFX) 13.3
Vanguard High-Yield Corporate Fund Investor Shares (VWEHX) 13.3
Vanguard Short-Term Investment-Grade Fund Investor Shares (VFSTX) 13.3

Being as it is, the above portfolio's asset allocation looks like this:
Cash 2.65%
US Stocks 29.75%
Foreign Stocks 28.85%
Bonds 37.65%
Other 1.11%

Also, the heaviest valuations are Large Value and Large Blend / Core, by far.

The above portfolio has a superior expense ratio of only *0.26%*. Other comparable portfolios have an expense ratio of *1.36%*.

I think I'm pretty happy with my first shot at this. I'll spend the next couple of days finalizing the actual target assets and begin the next phase of this effort: planning the execution of it all.

Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog and enjoyed your post about retirement portfolios. My feedback would be that you may want to consider some ETF's to add some diversification, emphasizing Real Estate more and possible adding some commodities/energy components via ETF's.

I plan some upcoming posts on portfolio variations on my blog at http://stock-net.com.