Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Just Plain Deluged Lately (plus some Retiree's Portfolio Update)

I've been utterly swamped lately, thus the lack of updates.

But, interesting how just when all the so-called analysts and experts exclaimed that stability had returned to the markets, the markets oh-so-subtly continue their plunge.

*Very* quick rundown because I'm severely lacking sleep:

1) As of today, my personal debt decreased from 5 to 4 digits. Right on schedule, and a "good job" to me!

2) The day after the first 4% market plunge of 2007, I took advantage of the situation to help The Retiree purchase $1K of VTSMX from their money market fund.

3) Similarly, today, after market close, I exchanged another $1K from the money market fund into VTSMX. This activity reflects a mix of DCA (dollar-cost averaging), or even value-averaging, plus that evil investing thing called "market timing." Nothing wrong with buying on the down, though.

4) Considering selling off current car because repair / maintenance cost projections make absolutely no sense at all, and have been shopping around for what I hope turns into the ultimate replacement-- the ultimate compromise car (according to my criteria). I chalk up my lessons learned here to simply not trusting my once-trustworthy BMW mechanic anymore. I view my situation partly as a result of being lied to, and partly as my lack of utmost due diligence by not getting a second PPI performed by a different certified BMW technician. Water under the bridge now.


I'm still very far from developing a hard strategy for constructing the retiree's portfolio, let alone defining methods of entry into their positions. Meanwhile, I feel it's safe to say that their eventual total stock market equity position is far off as well-- so these recent purchases shouldn't cause issue with their eventual asset allocation.

That's all for now.

No comments: